[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Sat Nov 9 22:29:08 UTC 2002

Norman
First of all, I'd suggest going to GLLUG at linux.co.uk - all the messages are
still there!
Read all the ones to do with the thread "Can't connect to the Internet".
I had problems myself - I initially tried to upgrade from Suse 8.0 to 8.1
and tried to hang onto Sun Office along the way. It's not in 8.1. Ended up
having to do a clean install of 8.1. It's been downhill all the way since
then. If you look for my name on that list you'll also come across another
problem I had with a CD ROM drive that seemed to think I only had audio
CDs. I've sorted that.
I'm beginning to think Linux people pay dear for their fun.

At 22:16 09/11/02, you wrote:
>Dermot
>
>I have just picked up the last bit of your thread.
>I too am a new and simple user ... with SuSE previously 7.3 now 8.1 running
>... and having problems/learning. ¿Which version are you running?

8.1

>  I think I
>probably lost your earlier mails when I lost everything I had in the SuSE
>7.3 by trying to directly upgrade to 8.3 (without saving backups)
>Maybe we can help each other a bit , under the eye of the experts, who can
>join in from time to time.
>
>Regarding your message:
>- when you just open a console normally you are in the system as ANOTHER
>USER without many permissions to change hardly anything
>- su lets you enter as root with permission to tinker with everything
>- somewhere you should have kppp dialer (if you have KDE running with your
>SuSE). this sets up similarly to a windows dialer.
>
>My current problem in setting up kppp is that:
>
>1. when I first try to open KPPP it tells me that
>     you don't have sufficient permissions to open usr/sbin/pppd
>     please make sure that kppp is owned by root and has the SUID bit set
>
>2. but then it lets me open the kppp programme, dials, connects, flashes
>logging in for half a second before closing down
>
>I have been through the various reasonable options for kppp set up , taking
>out the firewall, taking out the antivirus, .... but all with the same
>results.
>
>I am sure that I am missing something in this set up procedure that is
>throwing things out.

I too had a lot of trouble with kppp - that's why I went with wvdial in the
end. I also tried Kinternet. Rubbish instructions in the manual.
Suse is definitely not for beginners.
all the best
Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk