[Gllug] Thesaurus based searching

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 00:31:50 UTC 2002

Mike Brodbelt wrote:

>On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 23:08, Pete Ryland wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:46:49PM +0000, Andrew Richardson wrote:
>>

>>>There is a terminal based open source thesaurus called aiksaurus.  I don't
>>>know if you could put it to use on a webserver but the URL is I believe
>>>
>>>http://www.aiksaurus.com
>>>

>>Oh yeah - that too.  This is the one that abiword uses AFAIK.  Both this and
>>dict are architected in such a way as to seperate the front end from the
>>data serving, so a web front end would not be difficult to write.
>>www.dict.org is one such implementation.
>>

>Cool. I've not really looked at dict before, and it's really very nice.
>Side question - does anyone know if there's a nice X interface to it?
>I've got gdict, but it won't run 'cos I'm running Enlightenment, and not
>running the gnome panel. Are there any X interfaces that don't require
>gnome-panel?

There is a KDE front end to it ;-)

I am not sure whether that helps or not.

The gdict thing I think does not reallt need the panel as it opens up a
new application when launched, which I am sure you could run.

I have been dragged away from my computers, otherwise I could have a
nosey at what the apps were.

kdict is available I believe though.

Cheers
Xander