[Gllug] TV out

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 11:50:51 UTC 2002

Tethys wrote:
> "Anthony Chapman" writes:
>

>>Nvidia have said that they can't open their drivers because they've
>>licensed some of the code from elsewhere. Probably more an excuse
>>than a reason though.
>

> Nope. They could release them if they chose to do so. They're just
> refusing because they haven't seen a good business reason for doing
> so. Even Alan Cox agrees that in their position, it's not in their
> best interests to release the source for their driver (or to provide
> programming information to others). It just happens to suck for the
> rest of us, and like Diamond and Matrox before them, they won't get
> my business until they change their minds. Interestingly, both Diamond
> and Matrox did eventually do an about face, and I've since bought cards
> from both...
<blah>
In the old days (4 years ago) 3Dfx was King of accelerated video and
everyone thought they were omnipotent. And we know what happened to
them. NVIDIA were the upstarts taking on the giant and now they are in
the postition 3Dfx were, if not a better one. But things change. ATI are
certainly producing cards that are at least as good if not better but
NVIDIA has gamer mind-share...
AFAICR, it all changed when 3Dfx pissed everyone off for some reason and
there was a bit of a consumer revolt towards NVIDIA and the rest is
history. Can't even remember why now. Didn't 3Dfx decide they weren't
going to licence there chips anymore and make all the cards themselves?
Or something like that. And they had Glide which some games only worked
with which meant that if you didn't have 3Dfx you had to use crappo
software mode.
Are the extensions that UT uses actual OpenGL extensions or special
NVIDIA ones? And what about this new Higher-Level graphics programming
language that NVIDIA are banging on about recently? Hope it's going to
be nice and open :0
</blah>
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk