[Gllug] Linuxemporium - Pink Tie

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 23 16:48:02 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 12:33, Gordon Joly wrote:
> At 15:12 +0000 2002-11-21, Adam Bower wrote:

> Can we add "maintain" to "install"?

Ah - when you bring maintain into the equation, Debian lokks very good.

> I have got used the RedHat Network but I hear good things about
> "apt-get" (and bad).

Apt-get was one of the main reasons I switched from RedHat to Debian.
The deb packaging system, the variety of packages available, the
commitment of debian developers to packages that work well together, and
the social contract were the others.

> As soon and you "unbox" (the OS CD set or the pre installed hardware)
> the first task is to download the security patches for the day...

Maintaining a server running stable is easy - just apt-get update &&
apt-get upgrade does the job for you.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk