[Gllug] Moving partitons

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Tue Nov 19 15:13:06 UTC 2002

Jim Bailey writes:

>Could some one advise me as to the best way to move /home to a new
>partiton.
>
> [...]
>
>I know tar is the way to go but I am unsure of the best/most effient way
>of doing it.  Could some one be so kind as to give me some usable syntax
>please.

	mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /newhome
	cd /home
	tar cvpf - . | (cd /newhome; tar xpf -)
	umount /oldhome
	mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /home

But I'd personally use rsync instead of tar. That way, you can get 99%
of the filesystems synced without taking it down. Then you only have to
resync after you've kicked everyone off, and it'll only take a few seconds
to complete:

	rsync -aWv /home/* /newhome

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk