[Gllug] Dictionaries on CD

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sat Nov 2 14:38:16 UTC 2002

On Friday 01 November 2002 20:46, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    Some of the Oxford English Dictionaries are available on or with a CD
> version, but all the ones I have seen so far state that they are for use
> with M$. Has anyone tried them with Unix/Linux? They are fairly
> expensive to just buy on the chance that they may work.

I have the stand-alone version 2 OED CD (from 1997.) It has a single flat
".asm" file, and an index of some kind. There is a proprietry browser program
(which is unstable under M$ and I haven't bothered trying under wine.) The
spell-checking and lookup functions were implemented by M$-Wierd macros (and
hence were clumsy and unreliable. I don't know how it's compressed, or if
it's encrypted, but the single CD is far too small to carry the text of the
dictionary.

Dylan

--
"Sweet moderation