[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Sun Nov 10 12:59:16 UTC 2002

Walid Shaari wrote:

>>>The problem is that when you type wvdial, you connect via the modem, and
>>>only root has permissions to read/write to the port.
>>>
>>>To get round this, as root type
>>>
>>>chmod 777 /dev/modem
>>>
>>>(where /dev/modem is whatever port your modem is on - look in wvdial.conf).
>>>
>>>Then, you should be able to run wvdial as a non-root user.
>>
>>Ian
>>I did this. Checked wvdial.conf, Logged on as root, typed:
>>
>>chmod 777 /dev/ttys0
>>pressed ENTER
>>and got the following:
>>
>> dermot at linux:~> wvdial
>>--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.42
>>--> Initializing modem.
>>--> Sending: ATZ
>>ATZ
>>OK
>>--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
>>ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
>>OK
>>--> Modem initialized.
>>--> Idle Seconds = 600, disabling automatic reconnect.
>>--> Sending: ATDTxxxxxxxxxxx
>>--> Waiting for carrier.
>>ATDTxxxxxxxxxxx
>>CONNECT 115200
>>--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
>>--> Starting pppd at Sun Nov 10 10:07:57 2002
>>--> pid of pppd: 2047
>>--> Disconnecting at Sun Nov 10 10:07:57 2002
>>--> The PPP daemon has died: No root priv error (exit code = 3)
>>--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
>>--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
>>--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 3)
>

> from the man page :
>
>   3      Pppd  is  not  setuid-root and the invoking user is
>               not root.
>  so I guess as I am not a modem users for ages :) that you need to do :
>
> chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd
>
> but do an ls -l on pppd first and check what perms it have

Call me strange, but shouldn't a Desktop orientated distro like SuSe
have all this nonsense sorted at install time?
It's not unreasonable to expect a new user on a new installation to log
in to KDE, push the Kppp button and log in to the internet first time?
But faffing around changing suid bits and modem device permissions?
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk