[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 00:13:19 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 20:37, Dermot Moynihan wrote:

> I was quite happy all day occcasionally using wvdial to get me on the
> Internet. Later on in the day I was unable to get on coz of onetel.net
> being oversubscribed or something. Instead of a dial tone I get a drone
> sound. Anyway I'd press Ctrl+C to disconnect and get rid of the drone and
> then run wvdial again. I must have done this about five times when I
> suddenly got a message saying "BLACKLISTED".

Wow - it's ages since I've seen that. The "BLACKLISTED" message is a
response from your modem, indicating that the number you're attempting
to dial has been blacklisted by the modem, usually because you've had
too many dial attempts to that number in quick succession. It's a
hardware thing designed to prevent people using modems for war-dialling.
The only way round it is to power cycle the modem, which resets the
internal blacklist, or to wait until a timeout passes, after which the
modem will reset it's own blacklist.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk