[Gllug] Kernel 2.5 - is anyone playing

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Tue Nov 5 12:11:42 UTC 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:05:39 +0000
Paul Nasrat <pauln at truemesh.com> wrote:

> I'm attempting to build and package (rpm RedHat style) 2.5.46, I'm
> really only doing it as a learning experience on what's new, etc.  I
> started off with the src.rpm from http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/,
> but the configs shipped don't compile cleanly for me, so I'm in the process
> of manually configing generic kernels for ix86, ix86-smp and ix86-BOOT.
> This could take some time...
>
> So whilst I'm  waiting, is anyone else here playing with 2.5 and are
> there any obvious gotcha's?

It has been a couple of months since we played with 2.5, at that time IDE was a complete bugger. Fortunately we were working on a scsi box so it didn't matter. I seem to remember spending an inordinate amount of time messing with makefiles in order to get it to compile. The key to getting it to compile was to take out anything that wasn't absolutely and completely necessary. Matters may have improved since then.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk