[Gllug] Linuxemporium - Pink Tie

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Nov 21 11:08:15 UTC 2002

On , 20 Nov 2002, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>I'm saddened to hear that this is no longer the case. Can you give a
>brief run down of the bits of 8 that aren't GPL?

Packages containing their logos and images. 'redhat-logos' is one of
them, but there may be others.

>Do they still fall under the "open-source" definition?

No. You cannot modify these packages.

>Is it still legal for me to make copies of downloaded ISO's for
>friends?

The license on redhat-logos appears to expressly permit that. However,
their claims about their trademarks would imply that it is not; but it
seems those claims are unsupportable.

Not to be a smug Debian user, but the only answer is a distribution
with a real committment to remaining Free.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk