[Gllug] Linux config suitable for everyone...

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Wed Nov 27 13:23:38 UTC 2002

At 12:04 27/11/02, you wrote:
>Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>
>><Browser war>
>>Nah, opera.
>></Browser war>
>
>Thats non-free software so doesn't count ;P

Well, Opera is non free in that you have to put up with advertisements. But
that's the only price you have to pay.

The original message said: 'I really would like to hear of what software
people think is appropriate for everyday people used to windows'.

Well, I'm new to Linux but I regard myself as one of the 'everday people
used to windows'. And I would definitely suggest Opera. I've been using it
with Windows for quite a while and as the version of Opera for Linux is
practically identical it is one less thing I have to learn. There is so
much to learn  in Linux that that would be a big selling point. People want
to be able to get on the Internet without having to acquire too many new
skills.  (Assuming, of course, that they could get the thing to dial out,
but that's a separate issue).

I teach Internet at an Internet Cafe for disabled people and am hoping to
replace IE with Opera. The fact that one has many options for increasing
the size of the text to is extremely useful for those with visual dificulties.

The question, however, would be how many Windows users have moved to Opera.

Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk