[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report (Seriously OT now!)

Jonathan Harker jharker at massey.ac.nz
Tue Nov 26 02:26:36 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 26 Nov 2002 12:53 pm, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> If you're determined to be pedantic, then an apostrophe is allowed in
> the plural of acronyms and abbreviations.

Fine.

Of course, don't get me started on whose/who's or who/whom.

Or split infinitives - Star Trek's "To boldly go" has caused much wailing and
gnashing of teeth ever since.

<peeve>
Mixing up me, myself and I - this is so EASY and yet so often misused. eg. "Me
and Steve are going to the pub." One would never say "Me is going to the
pub", one would say "I am going to the pub", therefore "Steve and I are going
to the pub.", always putting yourself last on the list. See? Easy.

Similarly, "Bruce bought loads of beer for Steve and I" would infer "Bruce
bought loads of beer for I", which sounds daft, so it should be "Bruce bought
lots of beer for Steve and me".

Where you are doing something to/with/for (dative) a group that includes
yourself, use myself, eg. "I bought lots of beer for Steve and myself."
</peeve>

Crumbs, just seen what the fortune for this message is, so I have included a
warm fuzzy -

*fuzzy*

Luv Jon

--
Jonathan Harker
www.jonathanharker.co.uk

A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger.
    - Proverbs 15:1

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk