[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

John Winters john at linuxemporium.co.uk
Thu Nov 28 09:23:34 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 23:54, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Wed 27 Nov, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> >
> > Dylan wrote:
> >

> > Just because there is a great mass of ill-educated peons 'out there'
> > masquerading as 'the public' does not mean that we must pander to their
> > lack of will to learn.
> >
>    My dad was trying to do some research into family history, and complained
> that so few people knew how to spell, or even write, that he often needed to
> widen his searches to cover a range of names which sounded vaguely similar,
> over a range of possible dates. This was not helped by the way that many
> births were only registered if the the child survived for at least a year or
> two.

Even more confusing is the tendency to call a son after his father, then
if he (the son) died, to give the next one the same name, possibly
repeating several times.  This means that if you find a "John Smith"
with the correct parents and the right sort of date, you still aren't
sure you've got the right person.

John

--
The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk