[Gllug] Some scruffy nerds

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Sat Nov 30 10:14:28 UTC 2002

>And for me:-) The machine was called "ankles" after another cat (Spuddy was also cat)...
>
>There was marj at spuddy.UUCP (aka ...!spuddy!marj) who was often bugged with talk(1) requests seconds after login.
>
>But it was a pain dialling Canvey Island (!?) (non local call!)
>
>Gordo

More on spuddy (from February 1992)

*************

http://www.kclug.org/old_archives/linux-activists/1992/feb/2/0165.shtml

Subject: Problems making backups
Date: 20 Feb 1992 21:07:52 GMT

Hi,
  I'm new to Linux having caught a reference to it somewhere (forget where)
and have downloaded the 0.12 boot/root plus a few other goodies, and I must
say I am very impressed - except for no UK keyboard.

I repartioned my hard disk to give a 15Mb root and 5Mb swap to go with my 4Mb
RAM and it works AOK.

However, I have hit one problem....
tar cvfM /dev/at0 .
from the root directory freezes up at roughly /bin/update

If I try and kill the process from another screen then the kill hangs as well.
Yet, tar cvf /tmp/backup ./"everything except tmp"
works, and tar cvfM /dev/at0 /tmp/backup also works.
It seems to be the combination of reading from hard disk and writing to floppy
that fails.

The boot/root/everything else all came from tsx-11 within the past month.

Any ideas? Thanks

--
                               Stephen Harris
               sweh at spuddy.uucp    ...!uknet!axion!spuddy!sweh

* Meeeeow ! Call Spud the Cat on > +44 203 638780 < for free Usenet access *

******

Stephen Harris was the man who created and ran Spuddy....

Gordo

--
Linux User No. 256022///
http://pobox.com/~gordo/