[Gllug] mod_vhost_alias

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Nov 26 09:59:26 UTC 2002

On 25 Nov 2002, Paul wrote:

> Is it possible in Apache to have most virtual hosts dealt with by
> mod_vhost_alias, but override this for some special virtual hosts. e.g.
> to get separate logfiles etc?
>
> I've tried putting the <VirtualHost ... > section first for a special
> hostname and then the general VirtualDocumentRoot directive later but
> this doesn't seem to work - it all went through the mod_vhost_alias
> route.

I always use a separate instance of httpd for mod_vhost_alias services and
have those which require specific configuration running on a separate IP.

If you list the <VirtualHost...> instances before you list the
mod_vhost_alias ones it may work but I've not actually tried it.

> I know I could look into mod_rewrite or maybe even run two instances of
> Apache (?) but I wondered if there was a simple solution.
>
> All virtual hosts are on the same IP i.e. name-based virtual hosts.

How many are there? If there are not that many maybe a simple standard
configuration would be better suited to your needs. If you are dealing in
thousands of sites though I'd recommend splitting them across two
instances.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk