[Gllug] Debian..... XF86

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sun Nov 24 22:03:47 UTC 2002

Stig Brautaset wrote:

 >On Nov 24 2002, Xander wrote:
 >

 >>I have just installed Debian for the first time (apart from using
Knoppix on
 >>occasions).
 >>
 >>All has gone extremely well except for the configuration of X.
 >>

 >dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
 >
 >should be okay? if not, then try XFree86 -configure (alternatively also
 >with the -textmode flag).
 >

 >>Is it time to get dirty with the XF86config file?
 >>

 >I should hope not. That is one config file _I_'d rather leave alone, at
 >least. I only go in there to rearrange the search paths for the fonts...
 >(Why does it insist on putting the 100dpi fonts before the 75dpi ones so
 >I have to change it back every upgrade?)

Thanks, I cheated - kick started Red Hat and am using the config file
from that (just to get more Debian installation practice :-)

I am going to have a go now to try using Debian configuration programs.

Thanks for all the answers, I had thought about the Knoppix install if
the RH file did not work.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk