[Gllug] USB Discs

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 04:18:21 UTC 2002

On Saturday 09 Nov 2002 9:58 am, Stephen Harker wrote:
> Well it seems to be working great
> I got a LaCie 120GB 7200RPM USB2 drive and it worked perfectly under
> Mandrake 9.0 (linux 2.4.19).
> In fact, it detected the drive and set up an fstab entry and put an ICON
> in the KDE desktop!!
> USB 2 is supported fine and I can transfer to and from at about 10 - 12
> MB/s although I have only just connected it up so it may vary with
> larger files w/out caching etc...
> The kernel uses scsi emulation to map the USB device as a scsi drive so
> it appears as /dev/sda (on my machine with no other SCSI hard discs)
> Nifty :-)
> Steve

Uhhhh -hhhhh-uh-uhu-uh

Cool... My PC rocks at the mo! TV out, whizzy 3D, usb2, firewire, etc. all
detected by mdk9!

xine, ogle, mplayer, freetype from Penguin Liberation Front is all good!
mplayer now has mencoder - haven't played with it yet, but looks like a nifty
command-line flask type thing for dvd, avi, quicktime, divx, etc. Apparently
can now use windows quicktime .dlls???

Uhhhh-uh-uh

Bought some blue LEDs for this (free) big bastard case I've got... uhhhh-uh-uh

Jonathan Harker
www.jonathanharker.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk