[Gllug] reduce modem volume?

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 15:01:00 UTC 2002

Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> On Monday 25 November 2002 14:22, Stephen Harker wrote:
>
>>On Monday 25 November 2002 13:36, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
>>
>>>Hang on, is this about how the initial 'reduce modem volume' comes under
>>>(and in a bit from) the 'hardware help needed' post from Alain?
>>>
>>>Assuming it is, I see the problem but I have no idea how it happened.
>>>
>>>Unless, if instead of starting a new message I had taken another message,
>>>which I had just read but was not replying to,  deleted the subject and
>>>the contents and replaced them with stuff about modem volume and then
>>>posted - could that cause something like this?
>>>I had thought they were sorted by subject. but I know nothing about these
>>>things.
>>
>>Yes. This is what I meant.
>>Even though you changed the subject, the email would still have other
>>headers in it that are used by the email client to figure out the
>>threading. These other headers would be related to the old topic rather
>>than a new one.
>

> That's interesting.
> So, what the eye doesn't see the heart might indeed grieve over :)

Indeed. If you look at all the headers from your original email...

<snip>

"
From: Dermot Moynihan <dermoyn at onetel.net.uk>
To: gllug at linux.co.uk
Subject: [Gllug] reduce modem volume?
Sender: gllug-admin at linux.co.uk
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 11:42:51 +0000

I have a very loud external modem which screeches like a banshee.=20
My PC is in my bedroom. I'm not alone.  I fear I will be if this carries
"

<snip>

you can see all sorts of other goodies that are present in the email but
just not shown by the client unless you specifically ask it to. To:,
From:, and Subject: are just the headers that are normally what you are
most interested in.
Specifically, there is an "In-Reply-To:" header left over from the

To see these in K-Mail go to 'View' Menu -> Headers -> "All Headers"

Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk