[Gllug] Thesaurus based searching

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Nov 13 09:40:52 UTC 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 08:43:40AM +0000, rich at annexia.org wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:32:10AM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone know of an open source thesaurus based search package,
> > suitable for use on a web server. Something like swish, but with
> > fuzzy/thesaurus based search capabilities.
> >
> > I know of a few commercial solutions, but haven't been able to find
> > anything in the open source world yet.
>
> Have a look at Xapian and Lucene. Neither are "thesaurus based
> search package[s]" but both are good search engines, about the
> best that the free software world has to offer at the moment.

What's wrong with dict?

pdr at reggie:~$ dict -d moby-thesaurus thesaurus
1 definition found

>From Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 [moby-thesaurus]:

  47 Moby Thesaurus words for "thesaurus":
     armory, arsenal, biographical dictionary, cache,
     chemical dictionary, desk dictionary, dialect dictionary,
     dictionary, dictionary of quotations, electronics dictionary,
     etymological dictionary, foreign-language dictionary, gazetteer,
     general dictionary, geological dictionary, gloss, glossary, gradus,
     lexicon, lexis, nomenclator, onomasticon, phrase book, phraseology,
     polyglot dictionary, promptorium, repository, rhyming dictionary,
     science dictionary, slang dictionary, specialized dictionary,
     stock of words, storehouse, synonym dictionary, synonymy,
     terminology, treasure trove, treasury, treasury of words,
     unabridged dictionary, verbiage, vocabulary, word list, wordage,
     wordbook, wordhoard, words

pdr at reggie:~$ dict -S
Strategies available:
  exact      Match words exactly
  prefix     Match prefixes
  substring  Match substring occurring anywhere in word
  suffix     Match suffixes
  re         POSIX 1003.2 (modern) regular expressions
  regexp     Old (basic) regular expressions
  soundex    Match using SOUNDEX algorithm
  lev        Match words within Levenshtein distance one

A good 'fuzzy' strategy for spelling is lev and for phonetic equivalence is
soundex.

(Associated debian packages: dict dictd dict-moby-thesaurus)

There is also gdict and gdict-applet for gnome1.

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk