[Gllug] how to access virtual consoles?

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sun Nov 24 00:54:20 UTC 2002

Dermot Moynihan wrote:

>On Saturday 23 November 2002 23:16, Walid Shaari wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 23:11, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
>>

>>>I keep reading how if I press ALT+F1 or any F key up to F6 I can get
>>>virtual consoles.
>>>At the moment when I load SUSE 8.1 from a boot floppy (GRUB) it takes me
>>>straight to a login screen and then I end up in KDE. When I hit ALT and
>>>the F keys in here I just get menus.
>>>So, I'm assuming the ALT F thing is available somewhere before KDE.
>>>Basically, I want to learn the command line without having to wait for
>>>KDE to do it's thing every time I boot up.
>>>Any ideas?
>>>

>>Check out the /etc/inittab file; there should be an entry for the
>>default runlevel such as :
>>
>>id:5:initdefault:
>>

>Yes this is what it says. Do I just change that 5 to a 3 (see below)?
>What's the worse that can happen if I do this and it doesn't work? I'm a bit
>worried about my mail.
>

>>you can change it from there to another runlevel that is not graphical I
>>would presume its 3 under Suse, but better consult your manuals first.
>>

>Just looking in the /etc/inittab file gives me the following:
>
># runlevel 0  is  System halt   (Do not use this for initdefault!)
># runlevel 1  is  Single user mode
># runlevel 2  is  Local multiuser without remote network (e.g. NFS)
># runlevel 3  is  Full multiuser with network
># runlevel 4  is  Not used
># runlevel 5  is  Full multiuser with network and xdm
># runlevel 6  is  System reboot (Do not use this for initdefault!)
>
>Does 3 still look ok?  Or do I still need to check the manual?

run level three will just give you the black window with a login prompt
rather than the graphical login prompt.

If you need to get back to the graphical once you are at run level three
you can log in as root and type init 5 to get back to run level 5

Kind regards
Xander

--
So this it it.  We're going to die.