[Gllug] The importance of the PC to free software (was Barbican website...)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 23 17:02:38 UTC 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Gordon Joly spake:
> At 3:22 +0000 2002-11-13, Anthony Chapman wrote:
>>From: Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk>
>>Date: 12 Nov 2002 21:01:26 +0000
>>
>>>  And the Linux kernel was probably responsible for getting more
>>>  developers into free software than any other single thing.
>>
>> Even without Linux there'd still be *BSD, but I can't think of a replacement for GCC.
>

> I would assert that GNU (the tools, such "gcc", "bison", "gas", and
> the rest:-) as well as Linux (the kernel) played a part!

The thing you call `GNU', btw, is better known as `the GNU toolchain'.

(gdb and the rest of the binutils are also part of it.)

> I know that I started out submitting error reports about GNU "ld" and
> "libg++" for Sun0S 4.x (or earlier?) rather than Linux.

And nowadays two-thirds of the things mentioned there are dead :)

> <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8909251821.AA25155%40AENEAS.MIT.EDU>

At that point I'd not heard of libg++, or for that matter GCC, free
software or the Internet...

... how time flies.

--
`I keep hearing about SF writers dying, but I never hear about SF
 writers being born.  So I guess eventually there'll be none left.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk