[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Tue Nov 26 11:28:58 UTC 2002

Adam Bower wrote:
> Tethys wrote:
>
>> Quite how it's possible to get through school without learning at
>> least some minimal grasp of the English language is beyond me, but
>> somehow people manage it.
>
> You left school quite some time ago, or at least didn't go to any as
> bad as I did. After asking about things like this I realised that
> teachers didn't have a clue about how to explain these things to us.
> Some teachers would contradict what other teachers had told us and
> vice versa. Even now my english is still pretty bad, spoken english
> is not so bad but when trying to deal with correct punctuation I find
> it a real headache. This is now why I have no faith in the education
> system in this country, its not that you can blame the kids, you
> should be blaming the teachers.

I don't remember doing much in the way of English language when I was at
school (only a few years ago), it all seemed to concentrate on English
Literature at secondary school and my primary school experience seemed to
miss out quite a few things.

I only recently found out what a split infinitive is (prompted by someone
commenting on the Star Trek quote actually). It's a good thing that my
girlfriend is an English Language graduate!

Although I do get annoyed by poor use of apostrophes.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk