[Gllug] Tunneling Win2k/XP Terminal services over ssh

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Wed Nov 27 10:40:08 UTC 2002

After finishing up the puty config so that VNC sessions nicely tunnel to
my remote servers, I'm now moving on to MS Terminal Services.  I'm not
having a lot of luck, and I am hoping that someone knows how to convince
the new RDP client to stop being so smart/stupid.

It seems that the latest version of  Terminal Services has changed quite
a bit from previous version.  After digging around a bit, I found docs
on the new version and its config files at:

     http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/ts/rdpfile.htm

Following the recipes there, I changed a working .rdp file so that it
would contact my local port, hopefully then forwarding the packets down
the tunnel.  The change was simple:

    full address:s:localhost:3385

When I double-click the .rdp file, I get "The client could not connect.
 You are already connected to the console of this computer.  A new
console session cannot be established."

There is a parameter that seems relevant, but changing the value to 0 or
1 didn't seem to do anything.

    connect to console:i:1

Any ideas?

Alan