[Gllug] Nice value

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Nov 15 00:30:07 UTC 2002

Stig Brautaset wrote:
> On Nov 14 2002, Neil wrote:
>
>>Hi All
>>
>>Can anyone tell me what a typically normal/good nice value is,
>

> um, 0?
>

>>and also what value is a time to start loosing one's marbles, quit you
>>job, and tour Europe for 6 months.
>

> I don't think you understand the concept of "nice". "nice" won't ever
> tell you to quit your job -- it'll leave that to its evil twin, "bad".
> How about reading some manpages?
>
> Stig

It is a funny thing really as most of my mail servers are totally over
specified for just relaying mail and sit well below 1

I had an outage for half a day and got a load of email at once to
accept, scan for virii and check with spamassassin.  The relays were sat
at about 2-300 for a good while.

The only other time I have seen it that high is when I was `testing` a
spammers mail server with about 7-8000 emails.  (I did check that it was
their mail server and not some fools open relay)

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk