[Gllug] Which IMAP for Debian?

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Oct 14 12:57:20 UTC 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:00:45AM +0100, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:45:05AM +0100, John Edwards wrote:
> > 1) University of Washington (aka UW-IMAP IMAP2000). Very basic,
> > no shared folders
>
> It doesn't support mailbox ACLs  but there is basic support for public
> and shared folders.  Create a user account called imapshared, for
> example, and UW Imap will make its mail available in the #shared
> namespace (though you will also need to set appropriate file permissions
> on the mail folders).
>
> > mail must be in mbox files in /var/spool/mail.
>
> UW Imap supports the widest range of mail folder formats of any *nix
> IMAP daemon I know, including maildir.
>
> > Simple install but no change in configuration is possible without
> > editing the source code and recompiling.
>
> It is possible to change a range of settings at runtime, from mail spool
> location to default folder type, though this is not officially
> documented.  Edit /etc/c-client.cf to set global config changes or
> ~/.c-client.cf for per-user changes.
>
> I can recommend the O'Reilly IMAP book, which gives a good overview and
> comparison of UW, Courier and Cyrus IMAP.

My thanks to Xander and Bruce. It looks like UW-IMAP has changed quite
a bit since I last used it a couple of years ago.

The configuration files look to be a recent addition the CONFIG file
referenced by the website still talks about editing the C source code.
imaprc.txt gives the details of the new configuration options along
with big warning sign.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk