[Gllug] Wide eyed and Innocent new members.

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Tue Oct 22 15:53:36 UTC 2002

On Oct 22 2002, Chris wrote:
> On Tue 22 Oct, John Hearns wrote:

Don't know why this mail never reached my inbox... I only got Chris'
reply to you, John.

> > > I live in North Wembley, but not very close to that tube I'm afraid. I'm
> > > not an expert installing Linux either. That's one of the "bad" things
> > > about Linux; you only need to install it once, so you get no experience
> > > doing it ;P
> > >

> > Stig, you might be correct here about Debian - ie. install once and
> > apt-get to our heart's content.

Damn Right!(tm)(C)(R) :)

> > But installs and re-installs are just such a big part of compute
> > clusters and fabric management. Please don't dismiss this in one
> > sentence!

I think you misunderstood... I don't dismiss the importance of knowing
how to install new systems quickly and correctly; that's an important
task to know for a sysadmin, I'm sure. I'm no sysadmin though, so I
don't _know_ that ;)

I'm simply saying that as a lowly user (I consider myself slighly above
luser level) I've had none of the troubles I had back in the days I used
windows. Reinstalling  windows was routine -- it was something that you
did every 14 days or so. That simply is not the case with Linux, which
is the point I was trying to make.

Stig
--
brautaset.org