[Gllug] OT: Apple OS X Server File Permissions

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 14:04:24 UTC 2002

Ian Baillie wrote:

>Not sure, but I assume it is using Appleshare, as the clients are on
>OS9.

It could also be a sticky bit on the directories changing the ownership
once they are saved.

can you have a look at the out put from ls -l to see whether you can see
whether there is a sticky bit, whether the users' files are still owned
by them and what permissions they have.

Cheers
Xander

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/lpt/22_06.html

Unix directory access permissions say that if a user has write
permission on a directory, she can rename or remove files
there–even files that don't belong to her. Many newer versions of
Unix have a way to stop that. The owner of a directory can set its
sticky bit. The only people who can rename or remove any file in that
directory are the file's owner, the directory's owner, and the superuser.

Here's an example: the user jerry makes a world-writable directory and
sets the sticky bit (shown as t here):

jerry% mkdir share
jerry% chmod 1777 share
jerry% ls -ld share
drwxrwxrwt   2 jerry    ora           32 Nov 19 10:31 share

Other people create files in it. When jennifer tries to remove a file
that belongs to ellie, she can't:

jennifer% ls -l
total 2
-rw-r--r--   1 ellie    ora          120 Nov 19 11:32 data.ellie
-rw-r--r--   1 jennifer ora         3421 Nov 19 15:34 data.jennifer
-rw-r--r--   1 peter    ora          728 Nov 20 12:29 data.peter
jennifer% rm data.ellie
data.ellie: 644 mode ? y
rm: data.ellie not removed.
Permission denied

>Ian
>
>On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 13:27, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>

>>Ian Baillie wrote:
>>

>>>Slightly off topic, but it is really about file permissions.  When a
>>>user currently logs on, they can access there home directories, and read
>>>there files, however, if they edit there files and try to save over the
>>>old copy, they get an error suggesting the disk is either full or write
>>>protected.
>>>
>>>Checking the permissions on the server (/Users/usera/Documents)
>>>
>>>The Documents folder has its attributes set to 700, and all
>>>subfolders/Files are set to are set to 600.
>>>

>>Is this using samba, nfs, ftp or webdav?
>>
>>Kind regards
>>Xander
>>

>>>Can anyone help?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>

>>>Ian
>>>

>>--
>>Toni's Solution to a Guilt-Free Life:
>>	If you have to lie to someone, it's their fault.
>>

>>--

no brainer:
	A decision which, viewed through the retrospectoscope,
	is "obvious" to those who failed to make it originally.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk