[Gllug] Wide eyed and innosent new members 21/10/02

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Wed Oct 23 16:09:52 UTC 2002

itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 02:19:54PM +0100, Jonathan Dye wrote:
>> I'm running debian 3 on a 486 DX4-100 with 2.4.18 and it complains
>> that there is 'Too much work at interrupt' which I think is related
>> to the network card (rtl8139) but I never had this problem with
>> redhat7 on 2.2.19 or FreeBSD 3.  I assumed it was the kernel and
>> added the preempt patch to try and help it out but I still get the
>> problem (although not as much).
>
> That's a NIC driver issue and the patch will do nothing to fix it.
> Which driver are you using?

8139too which ever version comes in 2.4.18 (which was the same as the latest
available from the home page for the 8139too at sourceforge last time I
checked).
The driver does have issues detecting the mode(?) i.e. full/half duplex
10/100Mbps and reports something like
'autodetected partner ability 0000' but it still works and my desktop also
runs the same card with no problems (but it's an athlon).

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk