[Gllug] Shutdown Stopped

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Sat Oct 19 14:38:28 UTC 2002

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Dean Wilson wrote:

> I've tried passing these in to the command called from inittab but i've
> think this is too late along to get the values i want. When the
> Ctrl-alt-delete is kicked off it is handled by inittab which runs as root
> and so when it passed the parameters to my command they are already set to
> root or '/' which is the user init runs under. I was hoping to be able to
> retrive them from $UID but its handeled by a process that really is root
> (Doh! Should have realised that) so that fails.

Yes, you are quit right. It seems that the only things you can really do
is to grab the output of who so as to know which users were online at the
time - hopefully that will give you something to go on.

Of course you could follow up on another suggestion from the list and
install a hidden webcam and have init grab a photo of the offender ;)

> PS Good talk on setting up an ISP.

Thanks. I think that the postfix ramble at the end was a mistake. It's too
much of a subject to tack onto the end of a talk like that.

Jason
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk