[Gllug] Anti-virus

Dan Kolb dankolb at ox.compsoc.net
Tue Oct 22 11:14:52 UTC 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:09:49PM +0100, Eric Lee wrote:
> But in the Linux mags, I've seen Clam and others mentioned.
> What do people think?  As someone who receives a lot of email, often
> virus-infected, am I still vulnerable even though I don't use Windows
> anymore?

The viruses that tend to go around email will only work under MS Outlook / OE.
As you can't run Outlook under Linux, you're quite safe from them; it's just an
annoyance.

If, however, you have a server which serves mail to Windows clients, then you
should look at getting some AV software installed.

> And if so, which anti-virus do you recommend?

I personally use Clam on the server I admin. Any mail that comes in, gets
passed through Clam, and then Spamassassin.

Dan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk