[Gllug] laptop keyboard problem

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Sun Oct 27 17:12:16 UTC 2002

Mark Preston(mark at markpreston.co.uk)@Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 07:12:54AM +0000:
> My laptop keyboard has developed a curious fault. It doesn't respond
> when the following keys are pressed:-
> the keys for adkcb. and \
>
> It is still under guarantee, so should I return it for repair?
> It is a dual boot machine, and this problem affects both Linux and Windows.
> Has anybody any ideas what could be causing this unusual problem?

for me, its usually the shear ammount of detritus that collects from
everyday usage.

i find that pressing down hard on problem keys helps mash bisuits crumbs
down to a size that can be removed by a vacuum cleaner.  this also works
well for the other material.

OT:
i remember getting a support call while i worked on a helpdesk.  a
customer reported that when he turned his computer on, it kept trying to
print the same character over and over again.  upon subsequent
inspection of said 'faulty computer' we quized the individual about the
orange sticky substance we could see all over keyboard.

he'd completely omitted to inform the helpdesk that he'd spilled tango
over his keyboard.  the idiot was surprised when we had to explain that
it'd take at least an hour to repair the problem.  as we'd have to go
and bring back a spare from the main office.

somehow he'd thougt we'd bring along a nice new pentium [1] replacement
for him.

-v

[1] this was way back then.
--