[Gllug] php MySQL Webmail solution

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Oct 12 10:44:28 UTC 2002

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 10:59:46AM +0100, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> Paul McCourt wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm using my hosting providers 'Webmail' solution and to be honest it's
>>a bit of a clanger, I've googled around but I wanted to know who as used
>>what in the past and what your experiences were, I need something lite,
>>good few features though, php3/4, MySQL is available if needed, and the
>>email is on pop3.

> I generally sit between squirrelmail(.org) and imp (horde.org) as
> squirrel mail only uses pop3 I would recommend imp ( as used by zoom and
> others ;-)
>
> cheers
> Xander

I've setup and user-tested both for use on an IMAP server and now prefer
Squirrelmail, which supports IMAP inbuilt and POP3 with a plugin. Horde
supports IMAP and POP3 inbuilt.

Squirrelmail is generally a little easier to setup than IMP though it does
not have some of the integrated set of applications that the Horde project
(which IMP is part of) is aiming for. It also doesn't require the use of
JavaScript and so is compatible with a wider range of browsers.

If you just want email try Squirrelmail first, if you want to also use
other applications like calendering try the Horde project (and there is
also PHPGroupware).

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk