[Gllug] Hosting from home

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Wed Oct 2 16:49:47 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 09:59, Tethys wrote:
> Also, why the separate boxen? I'd always argue for having a separate
> firewall box, but there's no reason you can't stick the web server,
> database and logs all on a single box. Remember, you've only got to
> be able to saturate a 256Kb/s line. Unless you're doing some hideously
> complex database queries, there's no reason to need a separate DB
> server. Having a separate log server only really comes into its own
> when you have a web server farm, for example, so that everything's
> logged in one place.

For a commercial setup having different boxes starts to make sense,
particularly when the loads start ramping up where a flood of email can
make a P4 croak.  However for the home user a single box can generally
do everything that's needed.

Currently here I'm running 2x Celery500 as our workstations, a P75 as
the firewall, a PII-233 as an SQL & IMAP server (it's a work box holding
my work mail and an off site replicated backup of some critical data)
and flyhmstr an aging 10 year old box being the local news server and
primary MX for a number of domains).

When I get round to replacing the workstations one of them becomes a
combined news/mail/mp3 jukebox machine.

Old slow hardware is your friend.

   Mark

--