[Gllug] Reason behind groups

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 18 18:49:43 UTC 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Alain Williams mused:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 09:50:53AM +0100, Walid Shaari wrote:
>
>> how many groups can a single user join in? (e.g. in Solaris 8 I believe
>> its like 16, and thats one reason for use of ACL)
>>
>> is there a similar default limit in Linux?
>
> Beware ... it is not just the operating system that you need to worry about.
> I remember having nightmares a few years ago with some (PC ??) NFS clients that got very
> upset when a user had > 8 groups.

NFSv3 and below have a 16-group limit.

I hit it frequently, and it's very annoying. It's one of the things
pushing me to InterMezzo...

--
`It's hard to properly dramatize, say, the domestic effects of Dad's
 bank overdraft when a giant writhing kraken is levelling the city.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk