[Gllug] Wide eyed and Innocent new members.

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Oct 23 15:45:33 UTC 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:57:58AM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > I live in North Wembley, but not very close to that tube I'm afraid. I'm
> > not an expert installing Linux either. That's one of the "bad" things
> > about Linux; you only need to install it once, so you get no experience
> > doing it ;P
> Stig, you might be correct here about Debian - ie. install once and apt-get
> our heart's content.

Not really.  Even though the OS is very stable, I find that eventually
any package manglement system will get its knickers in a twist.  Especially
if you build your own software from sources and don't get your packages'
dependencies exactly right.

Also, whilst apt-get dist-upgrade is very shiny I'm sure, there's no way
in hell I'll trust it to upgrade a production box.  To start with, the
whole point of debian-stable is that the feature set is stable.  The
feature set can change from one version of the distribution to another.
That's one reason why Debian packages always seem to be such old versions
and why security patches have to be back-ported.

--
David Cantrell | Member of the Brute Squad | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

One person can change the world, but most of the time they shouldn't
    -- Marge Simpson

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk