[Gllug] ftp sessions don't time out for a long time

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 11 11:33:42 UTC 2002

On 11 Oct 2002, Walid Shaari wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 02:22, Formi wrote:
> >
> > Hi people,
> >
> >  I have this issue that has been nagging me for quite a long time, one
> >  of the users of the server uploads quite a lot of files from a
> >  btopenworld dial-up account. He says he closes the session properly, he is running
> >  W2k, I don't remenber the name of the ftp client...
> >
> >  It is now 2:20 am, he disconnected his machine 13 hours ago, but the connection still shows up.
> >
> >  19849 user1 0 2408  1640 S  0.0  0.9 ftpd: host213-1-136-176.in-addr.btopenworld.com: user1: IDLE 0:00
> >
> >  If it helps the machine is running Red Hat 7.3, and the ftp server is wu-ftpd.
> >
> >  Can somebody shed a light on why the session is not timming out?
> >
> >  Another hint, this also happens with webmin connections. But not as often as the ftp connections,
> >  all being done by the same person.
> 1- I do not use either, but there are several timout directives in
> wu-ftpd configuration files, have you checked those?
>
> 2- Is it certain specific clients/ general issue?
>
> Walid

 There is no specific settings on the ftp config files. The following is what the man page says.

#
       The ftp server will timeout an inactive session after 15 minutes.
  If the -t option is specified, the  inactivity timeout period will be  set to timeout seconds.
 A client may also request a different timeout period;  the maximum period allowed may be set to
 timeout seconds with the -T option.  The default limit is 2  hours.

#

 I only have this problem with one person, who happens to be the owner of the server.
 I tought it could have something to do with the firewall, but it was flushed severals times,
 and the connection was still there.

 The pc from where the connection originated was switched off yesterday at about 1pm,
 half an hour ago the connection was still is the same state as above.

 This only happens with connections originating from that particular machine, ftp and webmin.
 Although the webin connections time out if I restart webmin. When he connects from the local
 network with a similar w2k box this doesn't happen.

   . .                              Formi
   / \ GZ           MDK 8.2 ThinkPad 560E
  // \\/
 /( _ )     Linux Registered User #235743
  ^   ^

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk