[Gllug] Reason behind groups

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Tue Oct 15 14:17:54 UTC 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 02:47:57PM +0100, Jonathan Dye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed several distributions that by default set the group of new
> users to have the same name as the user.
> i.e.
>
> but I can't see a good reason to have it this way.  On all the systems that

> Can anyone suggest why it is this way?

Here's RedHat's spin on things (they call it UPG).

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/ref-guide/s1-users-groups-private-groups.html

It's proposes using a primary private group, and then other groups eg
students are secondary.  This with an appropriate umask and setgid bit
on shared dirs means users don't have to fiddle with umask and newgrp.

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk