[Gllug] Cheap Linux NIC

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Oct 6 21:55:08 UTC 2002

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 10:20:02PM +0100, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>> It's supported and works.  IME it doesn't do well under load, especially
>> full duplex.  I know of at least one person who had a lot of trouble
>> getting it to play nicely with other NICs on his home network.  But
>> that's the kind of performance issue you get at that price.
>
> On the downside, it is *very* unsupported by Smoothwall. This may not be a
> problem for you but is worth noting.

Smoothwall GPL uses a 2.2 kernel (as does IPCop), and the source code
for the natsemi drivers that will work with Netgear FA311 and FA312
can be found on Donald Becker's site:
	http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

I've compiled them for the 2.2.21 kernel, and it's not difficult if
you've got the kernel source tree.

> Telewest gave me a free one when they installed broadband but I ended up
> getting a cheap secondhand 3Com as the Smoothwall guys heaped their usual
> bile and scorn on this card they consider to be inadequate.

That's a problem with the Smoothwall developers not bothering to compile
the extra drivers. The cards are OK (though the 3com card may be better)
and the FA312 have worked well under heavy load on Linux.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk