[Gllug] How to chmod selectively without writing a script

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 12:05:31 UTC 2002

I want to be able to change the permissions on subdirectories without
changing the contents of those directories. So far I've tried

chmod -R 755 */

... but this changes all the files to 755.

I want the files in all the subdirectories to be set to 644 so I tried

chmod -R 644 *.*

... but this only affects the current directory. I've tried starting with:

chmod -R 644 *
chmod -R 755 */

This initially changes all the files and directories to 644 but then
everything goes to 755. This being the case, why does

chmod -R 644 *

... affect all subdirectory files while

chmod -R 644 *.* only affects the current directory?

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk