[Gllug] Hosting from home

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Oct 8 11:50:38 UTC 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 08:31:53PM +0100, Garry Heaton wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience of hosting from home via an ADSL
> connection?

Yes, I do it.

> I hear a lot about running servers on old, cheap hardware but doesn't
> this affect:
>
> - disk access speed if the HD is old?
> - memory performance if the RAM is old spec?

Who cares.  It'll still be faster than the network connection.  I'm
currently using a Sparcbook 3gx as my server.  It's equivalent to a 110MHz
SS5.

--
David Cantrell    |    Reprobate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

       Liver with fava beans and a nice chianti is
       less appealing if the donor has cirrhosis
          -- after Coyu, in soc.history.what-if

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk