[Gllug] gantt chart drawing program?

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Tue Oct 29 23:45:29 UTC 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Stig Brautaset wrote:

> Do you share my housemate's view that a gantt chart is vital? If so, I
> guess for my basic needs I can draw one up in gnumeric or directly in
> LaTeX.

Some folks argue that you need gantt charts to manage projects but some of
the best project managers I've ever worked with do perfectly well with
paper and some todo lists.

It is very easy to get dragged into the detail of making it look pretty
and forgetting about properly defining what tasks are required to complete
the project.

Having said that, many people expect to see gantt charts and they can be
quite useful for communicating the project timeline to people so you may
as well resign yourself to joining the cargo cult and producing one.

I sometimes find the ability to link tasks together to see dependencies is
quite useful for getting the feel of a project but I rarely use project
tools to actually manage a project as they're just too cumbersome for the
types of projects I work on.

Mr Project [1] looks nice, but you don't seem to be able to print yet
which is a bit of a handicap :)

Freshmeat [2] suggests several too altough I've never used any of them.

You'll probably find that a spreadsheet with shaded cells does you just
fine for presentation purposes, although it's a bit fiddly to update.

Simon.

[1] http://www.mrproject.org/
[2] http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=gantt&section=projects&x=11&y=13

--
"The school band will now murder 'Oh Come All Ye Faithful'"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk