[Gllug] OT: Apple OS X Server File Permissions

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 15:02:58 UTC 2002

Ian Baillie wrote:

>A novice question, but how do I find the sticky bit? (I do recall this
>from a book I read many moons ago, but I'm still a novice).
>

>I done an 'ls -la', which shows the files are still owned by the
>relevent user, and the group is staff, which is a default OSX group that
>every user belongs to.

I should have asked these at the time.

when you enter a user's directory and enter ls -l

as below are the files rw or read only?

-rw-------    1 xander   xander      94833 Oct 24 03:59
read-write-0.95.0.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r--    1 xander   xander    1002656 Oct  2 23:10
pwlib-1.3.3-1.i386.rpm
drwxr-xr-x    4 xander   xander       4096 Oct  2 23:14 qce-ga-0.40a
-r-x------    1 xander   xander      26206 Oct  2 23:13 read-exe.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x    3 xander   xander       4096 Oct  2 22:57 qce-ga-0.40b

Cheers
Xander

--
The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older
people, and greatly assists in the circulation of the blood.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk