[Gllug] Javascript Books

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Oct 24 11:01:42 UTC 2002

>I have a feeling that 'javascript' embedded into the web form may
>provide the answers. If that is the case, then I should appreciate some
>recommendations as to a good book to buy.

Javascript certainly makes this possible, but like Wulf says, it's not
without pitfalls. What happens if the user has Javascript disabled, for
example, or if they're using, say, lynx.

That said, we do use this technique to hide and reveal different parts
of forms depending on values entered earlier in the form, and it seems
to work for the majority of modern browsers. Essentially, just use
Javascript to control the CSS display value:

	var foo = document.getElementById(my_id);

	// To show the relevant item:
	foo.style.display = "block";

	// To hide the item:
	foo.style.display = "none";