[Gllug] Cheap Linux NIC

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 6 22:33:55 UTC 2002

John Davies wrote:

> I'm about to put in an order at ebuyer.co.uk and I one
> of the things I need to get is a NIC.
>
> Does anyone know if this one is supported under Linux
> or if not suggest one from ebuyer that is?

I've been seeing some adverse comments about eBuyer lately. The
concensus seems to be that they are fine when all goes well, and their
prices are good, but it can be a nightmare if anything goes amiss. This
may not matter if you are buying something cheap and can afford to write
it off. I have no personal experience but there's a long thread on
uk.adverts.computers entitled "eBuyer bad trader alert" where several
people have expressed dissatisfaction. I won't be using them.

As for NICs, go for an Intel Pro 100 if you can get one for a good
price, otherwise I have had very good experiences with RTL8139 based
ones. They have a reputation for unreliability but none have failed on
me.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk