[Gllug] Javascript Books

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Thu Oct 24 13:54:09 UTC 2002

t.clarke wrote:

<heavily snipped quote>
Whilst I could present an initial form, process the response and then
present another form depending on that response, followed by another ....

I have a feeling that 'javascript' embedded into the web form may provide
the answers.
</end>

Hi,

Dynamic HTML by Danny Goodman, published by O'Reilly is pretty good. It
covers an intro to DHTML, as well as HTML, DOM, Style sheet, JavaScript
references. He's also written a "JavaScript Bible", which while I've never
read, may be of more interest to you.
http://www.dannyg.com/

For your problem though, as others have pointed out not everyone uses
JavaScript, therefore a solution that users client and server side
processing will provide the best all round solution. This is important as
about 10% of people can't use or won't allow JavaScript.
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/September/javas.php
Sun Sep 1 00:05:01 2002 - Mon Sep 30 23:55:05 2002   30.0 Days
Javascript 1.2+: 315716462 (88%)
Javascript <1.2: 884040 (0%)
Javascript false: 38875823 (10%)

Essentially you could validate input and provide new input tags client side
with those that have JavaScript, for those that don't it can get a new
generated page/data server side.

HTH

Kind regards,
Liam