[Gllug] Alternative e-mail client for those poor Windows users

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Oct 17 17:41:19 UTC 2002

itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 12:49:48AM +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
>
> >>I found Mutt amazingly powerful but found browsing folders and periodic
> >>mail organising to be frustrating.
> >
> >i must admit the whole grabbing a bunch of mail and putting it
> somewhere else
> >isnt great in mutt, but i tend to use procmail for this.
>

> You just need to take some time to learn Mutt's pattern modifiers.
> There are a range of commands that can act on a specified patters
> (delete, undelete, tag etc), so that it only takes a few keypresses to
> delete all messages in the folder that were sent between 5th July and
> 14th September and are over 30K, or to tag them and then save them to a
> folder.
>
> T is the "tag according to a pattern" command, ; is the tag-prefix (i.e.
> the next command operates on all tagged messages) and section 4.2 of the
> manual explains patterns very clearly.

It's not that I didn't spend the time learning how to use it...
(one of the things I didn't like about it was that I kept spending time
learning how to use it - and never felt like that investment paid off)

just that I rarely want to move message in that sort of way

mailing lists are easy to deal with in most mail clients

It's work mail that I find tricky to deal with in Mutt

I like to recieve all work mail in one folder - and move it to a client
folder once it is dealt with - I tend to sort it out once eveer couple
of weeks - its very much amanula task and very easy to do in most GUI
clients - I found it very slow in mutt.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk