[Gllug] RE: [GLUG] Postfix nightmares

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Oct 21 11:50:56 UTC 2002

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:32:35PM +0100, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:14:55PM +0100, Neil Fryer wrote:
> > Hi Hendrik
> >
> > I tried that, and here's the output from that, and this looks ok to me, or
> > am I way off here?
>
> There seems to be a problem with your DNS set-up as I can't resolve
> onetwosnap.com even if I query your own nameserver.

Ah, now I can.   Your DNS details have been recently entered, which
means that they'll take a while to propagate round the rest of the Net.
But if dig can see onetwosnap.com from the mail server and yet Postfix
reports DNS errors then the mail server isn't set up properly.

One think that occurs to me is that Postfix runs some services within a
chroot jail, with their own copies of resolv.conf and other
files from /etc.  It'll be somewhere like /var/spool/postfix/etc.  Check
Postfix's own copy of resolv.conf to see that it is the same as
/etc/resolv.conf.  They may have become out of sync if you installed
postfix before configuring your system.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk