[Gllug] decent quality, cheap printer

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Thu Oct 24 11:23:18 UTC 2002

Stig Brautaset wrote:
> Hi list (and members thereof ;),
>
> I need a printer, pretty badly, and was wondering if anybody here
> could give me advice on one? I don't know anything about them,
> unfortunately.
>
> I don't have much room or money, lest I'd go for a b/w laser printer
> since I more or less only need to print text. I mostly print
> postscript documents, so if it supported that it'd be great, but I
> don't expect it at the price I can afford to pay. It'd have to print
> text at good quality though.
>
> I don't know how much to expect to pay for a printer, but can probably
> afford something around a £100, maybe a bit more. If there's a major
> leap up in quality if I fork out, say, 50% more, then feel free to
> suggest that.
>
> I'd prefer a networked printer (but I expect it to be too expensive)
> or a usb one. Parallel port can do in a pinch, but it's for a laptop,
> so anything that needs to be connected at boot time is a no no. Oh,
> and I run Linux exclusively here, so it has to work flawlessly with
> Linux.

I have an Epson Stylus C60 which works OK and the quality is good for text
and graphics.  It is a low end Espon inkjet and was about 70 quid I think,
they do better models in the same range and there are other ranges.  It's
USB and just worked (tm) with cups having good support for the Epsons.
The Epsons seem to be well supported under linux as Epson publish the
interfaces AFAIK so I'd say you could pick any one you wanted from Epson
(but it's still probably worth checking www.linuxprinting.org).

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk