[Gllug] c++ newbie complier probs

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Wed Oct 23 20:00:44 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 23 Oct 2002 9:11 pm, Tethys wrote:
> Jonathan Harker writes:
> >For a very good book on C++ from the horse's mouth, I recommend Bjarne
> >Stroustrup's book The C++ Programming Language. It is only available in
> >dead tree format, but I refer to it all the time.
> >   http://www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html
>
> No, no, no!!!!! I'd recommend that *anyone* learning C++ stay well
> clear of this book. The guy may have designed the language, but when
> it comes to explaining it to others, he's useless.

Actually you're right about anyone *learning* C++, for that I found the Bruce
Eckel Thinking In C++ book was very good.

However the Stroustrup is good once you've got to grips with C++... more of a
reference book I suppose. I found it succinct, to the point and refreshingly
free of fluff. The examples are a little terse I suppose, but I like the way
he doesn't spend 50 pages repeating himself, or banging on for 50 pages at
the beginning about who he wrote the book for, what typeface he's going to
write his notes and examples in, why he dedicated the book to his uncle and
his loyal pet gerbils, and so on, like many computer books do these days.

Luv Jon

--
Jonathan Harker
www.jonathanharker.co.uk