[Gllug] security swipe cards

George Saxby George.Saxby at racc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 14 12:38:06 UTC 2002

Matt,
 they want to do a 10 door with upto 100 users as a trial. The off-line computer system sounds OK, whose system did you use?
Presumably the door systems are interlinked to a central "box" that has a serial port on it for the down load  facility. Is that interlink wiring capable of being run over an existing CAT5 network?
TIA

George F. Saxby
    Systems Engineer
       I.T.S. Team

On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 12:33 PM, George Saxby wrote:

> Hi,
>  I have been tasked with setting up a secure room / computer usage
> swipe card system & of course I would like it linux based.
>  Anybody ever actually done this & care to make recommendations?

How many entry cards/staff are going to be accessing it?

It may be easier to purchase an entry system which does the security
itself but can output data to a serial port which you monitor with your
linux system.

This is what we've done in the past and it has to advantage of not
relying on the computer to be up to authenticate cards and allows pin
number and key over-ride of the door magnet.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk